Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Media Monster

Okay, so after high school we go to college.
Why do we go to college?
'Cause everybody else does?
I believe the purpose of college is to prepare us with the knowledge we need on a specific area which we will study for 4 years and then with that knowledge we are able to go out society and work, and improve, and improve, and so it goes..........

I grew up telling people that I wanted to be an Engineer,
Yes, engineer... I did not even know what the heck is that.
Soon Dad told me that I don't have to be an Engineer to build houses like he does.
So my Dad is not an Engineer nor a Architect, he is a businessman.
He is a developer, he invests and he earns big bucks.
So Daddy told me that I don't have to build houses myself,
I can learn how to manage business and let other people do the construction work.
But wait.. Management? I guess I am not that interested in Business.

Then my interest in media grew, well a lot of people do.
Who does not like media? Celebrities, fame, gossip, and lots of money.
But the truth is media is anything but those.
Going to college, I've learned a lot of harsh facts.
The fact that media won't easily get you a job,
the fact that media is not about fame,
the fact that there are very few minorities in the media today,
and the fact that media is not fun.
I used to think that the media represents the people.
but the truth is the media manipulates the people.
The media is no longer honest with its content.
I studied media because I was not so interested in business,
but now I learned media is a business.
Like Dr.Hale often said, what matters is "did the cash register ring today?"
Although I hate the harsh truth, but that is the truth anyway.
The news no longer deliver what the people need to know,
it's all about ratings, ratings, and ratings.
So I come to college to learn all these things.
I wonder how are we going to learn so much negativity about it and still love the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment