Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mrs. Barbarra and Lemon Chicken

One night, one old couple walked into the restaurant.
It was Mrs. Barbara and her husband, whose name I forgot almost immediately.
But I would not want to forget Mrs. Barbara.
They are sweet just like other customers I've ever met,
they like to give compliments,
and they share stories.
But their story.. was different.
Live at Oregon, come to San Francisco once in a while to visit their mama.
This time, mama is sick, and she might not make it.
They are pretty sure, she would not be able to make it.
Spending mama's last days, they were not crying,
It was not the end of the world, and they knew.
It was a nice talk, but it was different,
It felt close, as if I've known them a long time ago.
I said "You remind me of my grandma."
and Mr. One Eye said " You remind me of my daughter." I smiled.

A few days later,
I went back to work.
Mrs Barbara was there, this time, bigger table.
I walked to her, she hugged me, really tight.
I could feel the same happiness I felt in her.
She held my hand and said " She passed away last night."
There was a silence, a huge gap in my heart.
I lost all my words, and did not know what to say.
Mrs. Barbara smiled,
she said "we came here tonight to eat Lemon Chicken, it used to be her favorite."
Then she adds " and your Lemon chicken was her favorite."
That was probably the biggest compliment I've ever heard.
She then introduced me to her daughter, as "adopted grand daughter."

Funeral will be held this Friday, and Mrs. Barbara will go back Oregon.
I don't know when I will see her again,
but I will definitely miss her, my god grandmother :)

No comments:

Post a Comment