Friday, May 8, 2009

I Met a Gangster from '70s


Vinchia said: " I felt like to go Chinatown."
I said: "Let's go then!"

So right after classes, we headed back home and ran along the steep road in front of our house to catch Bus 44. Going to Chinatown means MILK TEA from Sweetheart Cafe and lunch at SAM WO for me. Once in a while I'll get some egg custards from Golden Gate Bakery. Okay I am not going to describe how 'delicious' Chinatown is, it will just make me hungry.

My roomie is working on this Asian American project about youth gangsters in Chinatown, sounds fierce to you? So the main purpose of visit today was to take some pictures where these gangsters used to hang out and also places where some killings took place in the old days. It was a whole new way of seeing Chinatown, somehow I could not smell the 'delicious' goodies anymore. We were walking along these dark alleys where Vinchia started telling me stories about these gangsters at the 70s. At the meantime, you could actually spot some 'gangster'- looking uncles around you. Who knows these people's history? All of them look like just one of those grandpas who fight for seats on the bus. Those innocent-looking granpas, nobody know about their glorious past. Well, now I know and I am sure gonna be out of their way on Bus 30 next time. The seats are all yours, grandpa :)

THEN, I spotted this bald-headed guy hanging out on the street who turned out to be the main character of my roomie's project. His name is Raymond Chou. Well, something like that, I am not really sure. He was SO FRIENDLY, you will never know that this guy had killed so many people in his past. He was all smiles, 50 year-old yet looks more like 40 y-o to me. I guess he is used to being approached by people, that is so cool! My roomie is definitely getting an A for that project, we even took pictures with him! He also told us this documentary about him "Underworld" which is going to air in National Geographic coming soon. (Geography? Geographic? Why am I so ignorant.)

Okay well, what I am trying to say that it was a pleasant visit to Chinatown. Definitely coming back soon for souvenirs :) yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment